Monday, August 15, 2005

Marriage

In a couple of weeks, I will be celebrating 2 full years of married life. It may not seem like a long time compared to some other marriages I’ve known but it never cease to amaze me. For someone whose life goal is to own her own house, car and dog (note: there is no husband in the picture), my life has certainly taken on a very different path from the one I have envisioned.

It hasn’t always been a bed of roses nor was it only thorns, blood and tears. Sometimes I enjoyed the companionship and at other times, I sorely missed the freedom and solitude that I used to enjoy. Thinking you know someone but then discover facets that were hidden before. Having to adjust to a whole bunch of strangers, living under someone else’s roof and not being able to be there 100% for my parents are still some things that irk me.

I used to think that perhaps I was the only one facing problems but have now realised that every couple have problems as well. It’s just a question of more or less, trivial or serious. I’ve had people asked me if they should get married. It’s a tough question to answer. I’ve always felt like saying “Which stories do you want to hear? The happily ever afters, the in betweens or the ones which ended in a divorce? I know equal numbers of all three.”

I can only tell you how I came to mine: Examine it as if you are buying a house. There could be a 1000 and 1 reasons why you will or will not take the plunge. For some, it’s the gorgeous view or the prestige of the postal address or that it’s just a good investment. It could also be because it makes you feel safe or have a certain comfort feel about it. For yet some others, its because that’s the only house available to them on the market. The most important thing, however, is not to ever look back once you made up your mind.

6 Comments:

Blogger misunderstood said...

so true, we are all responsible for our own decisions and actions. then again, being the imperfect humans that we are, we sometimes can't help but wonder what IF ... we had chosen the other path ...

10:48 pm, August 15, 2005  
Blogger baobei said...

wow
lost for words

11:19 pm, August 15, 2005  
Blogger eyes said...

amithyst: hehe which is why die die also can't look back loh :P

baobei: shocked or just surprised that I am so open with this entry? :P

11:33 pm, August 15, 2005  
Blogger baobei said...

just shocked i guess, coz i don't know what to think about marriage, since

1) I couldn't imagine being married to the guy i was kinda going out with for the last couple years, who didnt' even get publicly acknowledge as my SO/bf

2) Wonder how would I have felt when and if I do get married..

3) Guess I do have some kind of marriage phobia??

11:42 pm, August 17, 2005  
Blogger eyes said...

Baobei: everyone have marriage phobia loh :P Anyway, if you can't imagine being married to the guy then he is definitely not the right one for you.

10:47 pm, August 19, 2005  
Blogger chocokat0718 said...

I really like this post... I can relate! :)

11:26 pm, August 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home