Friday, August 26, 2005

Friday Night Out

Haven't met up with A for friday dinners for ages so we arranged to meet after work today.

Dinner was at the basement of Isetan, Shaw House. Pepper Lunch it is called. Its a new japanese franchised high class fast food similar to Yoshinoya. High class in terms of cost per meal and also the quality of food served. Its kinda like a mix of Jack's place and Macdonalds. The raw meat and vegetables come served on their patented iron hotplate so that you can cook it the way you want.

IMG_1338_1
My order - "Shimofuri" pepper steak set with rice and either a drink or soup

The rib eye steak that A ordered was pretty good too but it only came with corn, beans and carrots. PF ordered the doubled chicken set which was only average. The shake salad that we ordered to share was pretty nice but a bit pricy for the amount given. There weren't any pork dishes on the menu which I felt was a pity. This place is pretty good value for money if you want to have good quality steak served fast. We completed our meals by sharing the Kuromitsu Soft Ice Cream which is essentially soft serve ice-cream with raw sugar caramel sauce topping. Didn't get any pictures of the ice cream because I just couldn't resist taking a spoonful straight away. Ah well, I will remember to get a picture the next time. I really liked the ice cream because I'm such a sucker for anything made with raw or black sugar. The girls felt it was bit too sweet though. This place was super crowded when we got there but the staff were pretty helpful and we got seats as soon as we ordered. I guess the novelty of having sizzling hot plate fast food was part of what attracted most of the customers here. Still, I probably would patronise this place again in the near future.

After dinner, we walked around a bit trying out the mooncake samples at the food stalls. 3 more weeks to the mooncake festivals and everyone is already out hawking their wares. The crown hotel's yam & durian mooncake was pretty good. I also like hilton's ginseng snow skin mooncake and their baked mixed nuts with ham mooncake. Hmmm yes I can forsee myself turning into an "oink oink" in the next few weeks.

Leaving Orchard rd, we made our way to Meidi-ya hoping to find fresh horse radish. We are experimenting with a different way to pickling bamboo shoots. More on that later if it turns out well. Anyway, no such luck so we made do with powdered wasabi instead. I've also picked up some genmai tea and apple sweets that were on special. (^_^)V

On the way home, I got caught in a massive jam on the ecp. A mercedes car had caught fire (big fire it was too) in the middle of the road. The fire engines arrived 2 seconds before us to put out the fire.

IMG_1343_1
That's taken from the cab I was in.

I can only just imagine the shock of the neighbouring cars when the mercedes suddenly burst into flames. The car was completely wrecked by the time my cab went pass it. No ambulance so I guess the driver and any passengers were ok. I don't think this is the first time I have heard of Mercedes bursting into flames while driving so presumably expensive cars aren't all that reliable as they are always made out to be.

Anyway, have pigged out in a most satisfactory manner tonight and indulged in my most favourite pastime --> supermarket aisle shopping so the office work that I have brought back to finish didn't seem all that bad now. Am going to bring my dad out for dimsum lunch on sunday. We are going to try the eating joint that chubby hubby has just patronised so expect more pigging out this weekend.

Good thing I've got gym session tomorrow morning...

1 Comments:

Blogger chocokat0718 said...

Wow, you had an eventful night!!

Oh more than anything, though, your words of the mooncakes and dim sum made me just *sigh*...

Have fun at the gym tomorrow morning, I go running. ;)

2:02 am, August 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home