Monday, October 31, 2005

Big birthday bash

28 Oct 05 - My first uncle's 80th birthday bash. There is a long and complicated history between my first uncle and the rest of the clan but that is another story for another time. Suffice to say, he is not somebody I particularly admire or have much respect for other than that he is the first-born of the clan and apple of my long passed grandmother's eye. All my other uncles were here for the big bash and they were the ones I was really excited at seeing again. Being the *cough* filial niece that I was, I took friday off and accompanied everyone around for the whole weekend. The real reason was because (1) I dont have to go to work and (2) big clan gatherings always mean good food and I really mean that...just the 2 days they were here, I had a north indian buffet lunch, a mega expensive seafood lunch (Alaska king crab, giant steamed oysters, 2 huge steamed fish, geoduck sashimi), breakfast at the prata cafe @ botanical gardens, a stuffed to the gills dinner at Tung Lok and the birthday bash dinner which also stuffed my gills.

Anyway, back to the birthday bash. It was a pretty elaborate(by my standard) celebration with great pomp and grandeur. There were 10 tables, a 9 course dinner that didnt end til 11pm partially because some guests didn't arrive til 9pm, a huge cake with heaps of peaches on it, a professional photographer that took non-stop photos, a big red banner that all the guests had to sign and my very dressed up cousins and aunt. However, the guests seem to be there just for the food and when the cake was being cut, everyone just stood by and watched with disinterest. It is a bit like going to a wedding dinner of a colleague that you know but don't work with. You stand when the mc says the bride and groom are walking in, you clap when told to and for rest of the evening, you were more interested in examining the menu and commenting on the standard of food that was being served.

Yep, it was a very entertaining and eye-opening event indeed. I am still trying to decide if my cousins are stupid or just plain egoistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home